Must-Know Propane Safety Tips
Connecticut homeowners choose propane because of its longstanding reputation for affordability, versatility, and safety. This multi-use fuel is made even safer by NFPA standards for regulated propane use and storage. While you can rest assured that best practices are in place when you order your fuel from a reliable energy supplier, it is still important to familiarize yourself propane safety protocol.
Here are some preventative ways to ensure propane safety in your home:
1. Schedule regular professional maintenance
An annual tune-up from your local HVAC experts will help keep your equipment operating efficiently and offer an opportunity for a professional to catch any potential issues.
2. Educate your family
Proper propane safety measures should be understood by all members of your household. Establish set plans for the case of an emergency evacuation.
3. Get to know your propane tank
Know how to turn your tank off and how to read the gauge. Running out of fuel is dangerous and can cause serious safety hazards like fires and explosions.
4. Practice appliance safety
Make sure all equipment has proper circulation, and keep combustible materials away from appliances and storage tanks. Only use appliances for their designed purpose.
5. Know what to do in the event of a leak
Propane is naturally odorless with an additive that produces a distinct scent, similar to sulfur or rotten eggs, to make leaks detectable. Make sure all household members are familiar with this scent and can react accordingly in the event of a leak.
What if you can smell propane in your home?
- Immediately put out any smoking materials or open flames.
- Do not touch or turn on any light switches or appliances, as this can cause a spark.
- Leave the building immediately.
- Turn off your main gas supply if it is safe to do so. To close the valve, turn it to the right (clockwise).
- Away from your property, report a leak by calling 911 or contacting us at (203) 272-3250 immediately.
- ONLY return to the area if an Arbor Energy certified employee, emergency responder, or service technician deems it safe.